Summer is here and that means more travel, more fun, and figuring out how to make sure your nails look good through it all. In episode 9 of our Tea Talk with Amy, we answer one of the most common questions we get: how do I make my manicure and pedicure last longer?
In general, a manicure with regular nail polish will last around 3-5 days, but that’s not the whole story! The durability of your polish is also dependent on a couple of key factors, like your lifestyle and the condition of your nails.
People who have to wash their hands more often like doctors, nurses, or anyone with a hand-intensive job or hobby may see chipping and a shorter lasting time. Likewise, some people have naturally oilier nail plates, which will affect the way the polish sits on your nails. Even your favorite summertime activities can put a damper on things—saltwater and sunscreen both dry out nails and dull your polish.
Here are our tips to make sure your nails are as ready for fun, sun, and adventure as you are:
- Clean nails with polish remover and push back cuticles before applying polish. This removes any oil and prevents the polish from sticking to your cuticles which can cause peeling.
- Apply a base and top coat. Not only will this elongate the life of your polish, the base and top coat also block UV light and neutralize nails to keep them healthy and prevent your polish from getting dull.
- Pack your nail polish and a top coat for touch-ups. Chip happens—be prepared and bring your color polish and the top coat to keep your nails looking fresh. To further prevent chipping and to keep the polish shiny, reapply the top coat every 2-3 days.
- Nontoxic gel polish works best for beach trips. The beach can be pretty harsh on your manicure and pedicure. A nontoxic gel will hold up better against the saltwater, sand, and sunscreen than regular polish.
- Wear gloves when you wash dishes. Soaking your hands in hot water repeatedly will shorten the lasting time of your manicure and make polish dull. Having gloves ready to go by the sink is an easy fix that will make nails last.
In addition to these tips, we also always recommend choosing a nontoxic polish. Despite any nail care myths, nontoxic polish absolutely lasts as long as regular polish! Many of the ingredients in nontoxic polish work the same way as regular polish, without threatening your health. We’re strong believers that sometimes less is more and that you don’t have to sacrifice for beauty. Nontoxic polish is an easy way to stick to those values while keeping your nails looking great!
To hear more about how to make your manicure or pedicure last longer, check out episode 9 of Tea Talk with Amy.
Have your own nail care questions? We’d love to answer them! Send us your questions, concerns, or let us know how our tips work for you @sundays_studio and make sure to catch our newest episodes of Tea Talk with Amy, released every Saturday.